Vice versa prescriptions issued by Danish doctors or dentists can be dispensed by pharmacies in other EU/EEA countries.
Love og regler
Recognition of prescriptions issued in another EU/EEA country
Prescriptions issued by doctors or dentists in other EU/EEA countries can be dispensed by a Danish pharmacy.
Currently it is not possible to issue prescriptions electronically across the member states. Nor can the prescription be issued by e-mail or phone call from a doctor or a dentist to a pharmacy. Consequently you need your prescription on paper.
The prescription must, at a minimum, contain the following information:
- The patient's surname, first name and date of birth.
- The date of the prescription.
- The doctor's or dentist's surname, first name, professional qualification, contact details (e-mail and phone or fax number, including country code), work address (including the name of the relevant member state) as well as the doctor's or dentist's signature (written or digital).
- The prescribed medicine's INN (drug substance) name or brand name. The background must be specified in case of biological medicine or if the doctor or dentist find it necessary.
- The pharmaceutical form (tablet, capsule etc.), quantity, strength ( quantity per dose unit, volume unit or weight unit) and dosage.
- Medicine with euphoriant substances (e.g. opioids like morphine) cannot be dispensed from foreign prescriptions.
If you stay in Denmark and need prescription medicine, you can use a foreign prescription, if it lives up to the rules mentioned above. Otherwise you need to contact a Danish doctor or dentist.
Countries outside the EU/EEA
Prescriptions issued by doctors or dentists in countries outside the EU/EEA cannot be dispensed by a Danish pharmacy.